I am Keith Elcombe and I’m a Hampshire based professional photographer who offers Pet Photography as one of my skills.
If you would like photos done of your pet for a keepsake, or of someone else pet for a gift, then I’d love to hear from you, just use the 'Contact Me' button below.
My love of animals extends to domestic pets and I am equally at home photographing them too.
I'll happily photograph any pet, from small rodents, up to dogs and of all shapes and sizes. You can see examples of my work on this page.
I am comfortable around pets, having grown up with pet dogs as a child, and us having pets of our own now.
I have also volunteered my photographic services to Salisbury Dogs Trust this year (2018) photographing both their summer Fun Day and their Christmas Fair. Click on the links to see some of the shots taken at those events.
In addition to the example photographs on this page, some other examples can be seen in this gallery.
Some things you should know about my style of pet photography:
• I do not do 'studio' pet photography shoots
• I prefer to do candid shoots, capturing the animal in a relaxed and familiar environment. For dogs this can be out on a favourite walk for example.
• I do not like to use a flash for photographing pets unless in exceptional circumstances to add in a little extra light. As a rule I won't use a flash, but if I need to I won't have it fire in such a way it interferes with the animals sight. As such I'd prefer to use natural light, and photographing animals outdoors is preferable.
• I'm happy to photograph pets at your home, in the garden, or out for a walk in their favourite location.
• I do not believe in forcing an animal into a situation with the sole purpose of getting a particular shot, and I will not undertake any requests to do so.
• I treat photographing pets as I would photographing wild animals; it's all about not putting the animal under stress and making sure it is comfortable with me photographing it. I don't get too close unless the animal is happy with me in its personal space.
• I use a mixture of long and short lenses to capture various shots, again being mindful of the animals mood and the scene to be captured.
• The old adage of 'never work with children or animals' holds true, so of course the photographic results depend on the animal's mood on the day, and no specific results can be guaranteed.
Session time and cost:
A session can be up to two hours.
I charge for the actual photography session, and for processing the photos from the shoot.
I am happy to discuss rates when we discuss your requirements/when you contact me.
I am based in north Hampshire, and happy to travel up to 45 minutes from my location.
I do charge for travel, by the mile. Again we can discuss this when you contact me.
There is an element of pre-work to be done before the actual shoot happens, in terms of where the shoot will happen, what you want out of it etc.
Ideally I'd like to meet with your and your pet in person before the shoot, in order to get to know a bit about you, and get to know your pet. This will help me planning for the actual shoot session.
There will be a cost for this, but it will be included in the total cost for the shoot, and form part of a deposit to be paid in advance. If you decide after our initial meeting not to go ahead with the shoot, you will only pay for the initial consultation.
If for any reason I feel that doing a photography session is not suitable based on your requirements, I will refund the deposit.
What do I get from the shoot?
As a number of shots will be taken as part of the session, I will present you with digital versions of the successful shots from the day.
This will be done online, where you can browse the shots at your leisure and decide which ones you would like.
I will then present you with the digital hi-resolution photos for you to do with as you wish.
I have full public liability insurance.
What I do NOT provide:
As I only provide you with the selected hi-resolution digital files from the shoot, that you have chosen, I do not provide physical prints of the photographs unless a prior arrangement has been made. We can discuss this when you contact me.
If you'd like to book me for a photography session, then please use the Contact Me button.